Please click the button to the right for each rule in music category.
Note for all contestants in written testing: You are responsible for bringing as many No. 2 pencils as you may need to take these tests. Scantron answer sheets will be used for all tests except Spelling.
ALL TESTS ARE TIMED: 20 MINUTES
Culture: Three entries per school per level: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4. Multiple-choice, scantron test. All materials will be taken from AMSCO: Level One (Erstes Buch); AMSCO: Level Two (1985); Komm mit! (I, II, and III)and any or all sources listed under the Pass auf! category. The level 3 and 4 tests will be in German.
Grammar: Three entries per school per level: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4. Multiple-choice, scantron test. See description of Culture test for the sources to be used. Add: Any texts or books you may have.
Listening Comprehension: Three entries per school per level: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4. Multiple-choice, scantron test. Listen to recorded items in German and answer questions about the content of the information you heard. Levels 1 and 2 take the same test and Levels 3 and 4 take the same test, but they are ranked separately for each level.
Reading Comprehension: Three entries per school per level: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4. Multiple-choice, scantron test. The test will consist of questions about a series of short readings. Questions will generally be in German.
Spelling: Two entries per school per level: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4. Levels 1 and 2 take the same test and Levels 3 and 4 take the same test, but they are ranked separately for each level. A series of words will be called out in German (the speaker will say the word, its part of speech, a sentence using the word, and the word again). The words will probably be recorded, not called live. Contestants write the called words on their answer sheets. Spelling (including umlauts) and capitalization (nouns capitalized, other parts of speech not capitalized) must be perfect in order to receive credit for a given item. Spelling lists are based on the glossaries in the back of all German textbooks.
Vocabulary: Three entries per school per level: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4. Multiple-choice, scantron test. Vocabulary will be taken from approved textbooks on the appropriate level. The test will consist mostly of items in which you choose the correct English meaning for a given German word, but other formats are possible as well.
Advantaged Written Test: This is a comprehensive test that combines the 6 written tests into one for students classified as “Advantaged.”
Explanation for Proctors
Written Test proctors
Category Number of entries per school +Levels+ *Timed*
List Comp 1-2 3 on each level + *
List Comp 3-4 3 on each level + *
Spelling 1-2 2 on each level + *
Spelling 3-4 2 on each level + *
Reading Comp 1-2 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
Reading Comp 3-4 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
Vocabulary 1-2 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
Vocabulary 3-4 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
Culture 1-2 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
Culture 3-4 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
Grammar 1-2 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
Grammar 3-4 3 on each level + Given on each hour or half hour
- Check lists of schools and entries: Refer to chart above if necessary.
- Protect answer keys with your life!
- Time the test. Students should be given only 20 minutes for the test and only 10 minutes for the tie-breaker.
- The tie breaker: Tell students to not forget to answer the tie-breakers. These are often very important for final rankings!!!
- When you being to test,hand out the answer sheets first.. Have them put their name, school and Level (circle I, II, III, IV)Before handing the student the test, make sure he/she has filled out the above information and then get started. (This procedure is primarily for Listening Comp and Spelling) Culture, Grammar, Reading, and Vocabulary tests will be given ONLY each hour or half hour, e.g., 9, 9:30, 10, 10:30 as students arrive up to 1:00 pm.
- No tests may be handed out after designated time on the schedule posted on the website.Be strict but fair.
- Grading procedure: You will receive a packet with sheets for listing the winners. You must fill out a sheet for each Level I, II, III, and IV. Please list the top 10 highest scorers. Usually, Level I and Level II, and Levels III and IV are given the same test, but Please remember to grade them separately.Only level I competes to level I,Only level II competes to level II,Only level III competes to level III,There are no “advantaged speaker” tests.
- Fill out the award assembly sheet. Rank the entries first through tenth place. Schools receive sweepstakes points for these rankings. Please write the names carefully and legibly, as this sheet is used to read names for the awards assembly. Do not to leave campus until you have turned in the award assembly sheet to the tab room and been cleared by them.
- The coordinators for your area are in the scantron room in the event you need more forms or have any questions.
Your donation of time, encouragement and constructive comments tremendously benefits our students and our German programs!
VIELEN HERZLICHEN DANK!!!
Feb. 8, 2019
State online registration due by 11:59 p.m. in order to qualify for early-bird price of $10 per student. Online registrations submitted after this point incur the regular registration fee of $12 per student. Also, deadline to apply for the Mary El-Beheri Memorial Scholarship.
Feb. 8, 2019
Mary El-Beheri Memorial Scholarship applications due
Feb. 15, 2019:
State online registration due by 11:59 p.m. (regular deadline). Also,postmark deadline for State payment, regardless of whether you completed your online registration by the early-bird or the regular deadline.
November 15, 2018
Fall Teacher Grant applications due
Feb. 23, 2019
Texas State German Contest, Texas State University, San Marcos
Mar. 8, 2019
Gail Cope Scholarship applications due
April 30, 2019
Spring Teacher Grant applications due
February 29, 2020
Texas State German Contest 2020
Texas State German Contest Director
Sprachfest/TSGC Mailing Address
Texas State German Contests, Inc.
PO Box 2043
Boerne, TX 78006
Kayla Hill & Dr. Ewa Siwak
Dept. of Modern Languages
601 University Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666