Mary El-Beheri Memorial Scholarship
Mary El-Beheri (1938-2012) was a founder and the Executive Director of the Texas State German Contest for 30 years and had a deep passion and commitment to students learning and loving the German language and culture. The TSGC Steering Committee has established a fund to be used for scholarships in her memory. The intent of this scholarship is to recognize a student who also shares a passion for and love of learning the German language and culture. A scholarship in the amount of at least $500.00 will be awarded each year at the Texas State German Contest Awards Ceremony.
- Applicant must be a senior who has competed and placed 1st – 5th place at the Texas State German Contest for at least 3 years, including the senior year.
- Applicant must indicate an intention to continue studying German at the post-secondary level. If applicant is not immediately attending a post-secondary institution, he/she must still indicate how further study of German works into future plans.
- Schools may submit up to three applications if there are eligible seniors. Any applications must be submitted through the German teacher.
- Sweepstakes points based on the current sweepstakes points system will be awarded to any events, individual or group, placed 1st – 5th at the Texas State German Contest for each year.
- The senior with the highest number of sweepstakes points in his/her best three years of State competition will be the recipient.
- In the event of a tie, the applicant’s resume, applicant statement, and the teacher’s recommendation will be considered and evaluated by a panel of TSGC founding members.
- Recipient will be announced at the Texas State German Contest Awards Ceremony, at which time the recipient will receive a letter of instruction about how to claim the scholarship.
- Scholarships will be paid directly to the post-secondary institution. Arrangements will be made if the student will not immediately be attending a post-secondary institution.
Click here for 2020 Mary El-Beheri Scholarship Application.
Deadline for application is Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:59 PM. Application should be typed and submitted, along with any attachments, to the Director, Jennifer Christianson via the TSGC Google Classroom Assignment.